Simple Baby Food Combinations for Constipation and Gas

 

Did you know a lot of the foods meant to ease constipation can upset baby's tummy and make them gassy?  I learned this the hard way.  It took a little while, but we've discovered what works for her constipation without her tummy getting upset at bedtime.  I'm sharing them with you, so maybe they can help your little one.  I’m not a doctor and this is not medical advice.  If your baby is severely constipated, please call your doctor!





Always make sure your baby has been introduced to each individual food before pairing together.  It’s best to wait 2-3 days between introducing new foods.  This helps identify any allergies your little one may have.


Rice and Peaches

A lot of babies don’t love plain rice cereal.  Add some peaches though and they’ll gobble it up.  Rice can cause constipation in babies too, so I like to always mix it with fruit.  I like to do two parts cereal to one part peach.  You can use the jarred peaches or steam and purée your own. 


Bananas and Blueberries 

Blueberries are great for helping with constipation. I like three parts banana and one part blueberries.  Again, you can adjust the amounts depending on your babies reaction.  I’ve seen this sold pre-made as baby food or you can purée your own.   


Carrots and Strawberries

Carrots may not be a favorite in your home.  Adding some puréed strawberries is a great way to get baby to eat them.   The berries can also help counteract the possible constipating effects of the carrots.  I have not personally seen this combination in the store.  But please let me know if it exists!  


Sweet Potatoes and Apricot

There’s people who claim sweet potatoes help with constipation and some who claim it causes it.  All I know is it makes my little one constipated.  Adding in some puréed apricots can help your little one’s digestive system stay on track.


Squash and Prunes

My baby loves prunes, but we eat them sparingly.  And we do so because too many of them makes her extremely gassy.  I try to avoid the tummy troubles by only adding a few tsp of puréed prunes to foods known to cause constipation.  Alternatively, a tsp of prune juice mixed in often works well.  And seems to be easier on her tummy.  I highly suggest starting with a small amount of prunes.  You can always add more if needed. 

And there they are.  I hope your baby enjoys these combinations as much as mine!  




Comments

Popular Posts