Hospital Bag Checklist - What They Don't Tell You To Bring

 I didn't have a partner with me in the hospital after I gave birth to my youngest daughter.  Even if I had, I would have wished I had some items I wasn't told I should pack.  I've made a list of things that would have made our hospital stay go a little more smoothly.  Moms to be may want to consider adding these to their hospital bag.  



  1. More Baby Outfits 

I don't know who decided one baby outfit was all that is needed.  It's not very practical. Your baby may very well need a change between when you get them dressed and when it's time to leave. But not only that; you're going to want to take lots of pictures while you're there. Those hospital provided outfits aren't the cutest. And they're not the warmest either. Hospitals tend to be a little cooler. You'll want your little one warm and comfortable.

  2. Swaddle Wraps

Gone are the days of receiving blankets being the only way to swaddle baby.  With a newborn, anything that makes things a little easier is a blessing.  A good, tight swaddle takes some practice.  These fool proof velcro swaddles really come in handy.  They were a life saver once I got home with the baby.  I only wish I had packed them in my hospital bag for those first few days.


3. Baby Wipes

There are few things I hate more than those dry wipes.  You have to walk to the sink, find the right water temperature and wet them.  Too many extra steps for a new, sleep deprived mother in my opinion.  Not only that, but I didn't find they worked all that well on the meconium.  I'm pretty sure most of us switch to regular wipes when we get home for a reason.

.

4. Ready to Feed Bottles

If you plan on bottle feeding at all, I highly suggest bringing some of these along.  Newborns don't drink a whole lot at a time.  Because these bottles are only good for two hours after opening (one hour if she's started drinking from it), you'll be going through a lot of them.  The nurses aren't always available to bring more into you right when you need one.  You may also find yourself wishing you had one on your car ride home.


5. A Big Diaper Bag 

It can be much easier to carry one big bag versus several small ones.  This is especially true when one hand is already dedicated to carrying the new baby around in a car seat.  In addition to everything you bring to the hospital, you'll be carrying out everything the hospital gives to you.  You have your paperwork, gifts, supplies.  It really adds up.  Just be sure to keep everything organized, so you're not struggling to find a diaper when you really need one.  





Comments

Popular Posts