Beware Buying Used Baby Clothing




I’ve always been a thrifty parent. As a single mother, I’ve had to save money wherever I could. And let’s face it. You just can’t beat those $2 bag sales. And 25 cent baby clothes at yard sales; yes please. 

Shopping second hand isn’t only budget friendly. It’s environmentally friendly too; not to mention loads of fun. So you can imagine my disappointment when I stumbled across some truly shocking information. 

Second hand clothing isn’t always friendly in regards to safety. In fact, it can be downright dangerous. There have been times friends and family have called me crazy for worrying about my daughter choking on one of those adorable flower decals her shirt was decorated with. Turns out I wasn’t so crazy.

Choking hazards, fire hazards, even lead poisoning risks; I could not believe the volume of children’s clothing recalls I stumbled upon. 

Several of them being from big brand names, I began to wonder how many of those thrift store outfits were dangerous. I wondered how many on reseller sites, at yard sales and even clothing banks. 

Even worse, I wondered how many my own daughter’s wardrobe consisted of. She had a large one. Most of her outfits were bought secondhand. I’d been accumulating them since the first trimester of my pregnancy. 

I knew baby items were recalled frequently. This was the reason I’d refused to purchase any actual gear (car seat, crib, stroller, etc.)secondhand. But clothing? It wasn’t something I’d thought of. I assumed I was perhaps being a bit overly cautious. Maybe a little overbearing; I am known for that. 

I figured the cardigans with buttons, the dress adorned with decals, the overalls that tied at the shoulder were all meant to be worn under close supervision. But my gut instincts were spot on. Babies chew on everything, including their clothing. They were dangerous. 

Lead exposure risks exist in some metal decals and hardware. Thankfully, I already steered clear of these items as I didn’t think they’d be very comfortable for my baby. But the fact these hazards even existed in children’s clothing shook me. How could this market be so dangerous?

The most disturbing recalls on the list consisted of fire hazards. Fire safety has evolved over the years and so to has regulations regarding children’s sleepwear. I wouldn’t purchase a crib mattress that didn’t meet these regulations. Little did I know her pajamas could have been just as dangerous. 

Vintage baby clothing is often listed for sale on popular reselling sites. And well inflated in price at that. Many parents love to dress their children in those adorable outfits. But it can be dangerous. Those moms need to know.

What’s scarier, it’s not only the vintage outfits. It’s outfits from only a few seasons ago. It’s blankets. It’s everything. Just as parents wouldn’t allow their babies to sleep on those flammable crib mattresses, they shouldn’t allow their child to sleep in flammable pajamas. Just as they wouldn’t give their babies a toy that poses a choking hazard, they shouldn’t dress their baby in clothing that poses that same risk. 

All this information changed my world. It changed the way I shopped for my daughter. I still buy some second hand clothing, but I’m smarter about it. I give it more thought. 

More parents should know about this. It should be common knowledge. Recalled baby clothing should not be permitted to be sold in thrift stores and on reselling sites. It’s a dangerous practice. Knowledge can save lives. 



Comments

Popular Posts